Study Finds Children's Jewelry Have High Levels of Cadmium
According to the Booster Shots blog on latimes.com, a new study has found that children who wear, mouth or swallow inexpensive jewelry items may be exposed to high levels of cadmium. In the study, researchers tested charms, bracelets and necklaces to determine the levels of cadmium in each. "Of 92 pieces of jewelry tested under ingestion conditions, two pieces (a football pendant and a heart charm) yielded more than 20,000 micrograms of cadmium, 100 times the [U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission]-recommended maximum exposure of 200 micrograms through ingestion... Fourteen samples yielded more than 1,000 micrograms. The researchers found the amount of cadmium released increased linearly, indicating that the longer an item stays in a child's stomach, the greater the potential for harm." The study was published online in Environmental Health Perspectives.
Cadmium, when ingested, can cause kidney, bone, lung and liver disease. In the last several years, the U.S. Safety Commission has issued five recalls for children's toys, jewelry, etc that has contained the dangerous metal.